Saturday, February 23, 2013

Pride and Prejudice: My Real-Life Mr. Darcy


Well, every Saturday is a different forecast, warm, cold, winter, spring. Hope you are having a great first of the year. Let's get started.


I believe in the influence of those who have passed on or the aid of angels. I was at the Wal-mart sometime this week and I know a lot of you were as well, ha, ha. So, you will know what I mean when I talk about those huge circular bins they now have placed in the front near the registers with the movies, video games and candy.



Do not be ashamed - those 5 dollar signs are like an energy beam drawing a brave many of us to it. Anyway. I was drawn to one this Monday.

For those of you who never (cough, cough) been to Wal-mart, there are these plastic about four-foot bins with hundreds of products in them for 5 dollars. Well, out of the millions of movies. I walked right to Pride and Prejudice 2005 sitting on top. I was with my Pastor's wife this day. She wanted to see if they already had the movie or if they should get it.

Well, their teenage daughter just received the movie this Christmas. So, what did all the teens end up watching? The boys had to be coerced and guess what, right at the five minute mark guess whose heads were bobbing and some until the next day.

Come on, what is so boring about the 2005 version? It is funny and the most tolerable rendition of the frantic mother. I am shocked. Anyway, it touched my heart to find out how much the girls have watched that movie and when they found out that I had watched every version and read and listened to the book they were asking so many questions what was different than what was in the book. I didn't tell them I rewrote it when they asked why I watched so many versions, but when I told them the 1990s British version was the closest they want to watch it now.

Long story short, it was the first time in weeks I was able to write again. Why my writer's block? Embarrassed to say, but from the start of My Black Pride I was already living it.

So much that months after I wrote it, my version had become a self-fulfilling prophecy. So much that when people hear my true story in the future will think I fashioned my story to the events in Black Pride.


If you have ever heard of "The Secret" or about the Law of Attraction, then you know that what you write, say or think can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. We can see it evident in many actors lives once they play a villain and see how far down their lives go when they get stuck in the villain role.




The law of attraction. If you are new to this blog, I was able to write this story nearly a hundred pages within a 24-hour period because I saw a real Mr. Darcy after a dream. By imagining this actor as Mr. Darcy, it was very clear the re-imagining of this character. Doesn't sound like a lot of pages, but you're talking about a woman who struggled 30 years taking months to finish any first draft of any creation.




My Mr. Darcy is exactly like the Pride and Prejudice in the beginning, rough, cold, not nice etc.But somehow changed just like the character in the book. I wasn't very nice either, just like Elizabeth, even though I was just being honest with my words. The real life Mr. Darcy can be vocal in everything, but when it comes to the matter of the heart there is a complete shut down. So, it seems. And we find out that he liked her from the beginning yet her harsh words wounded those chances.




And then almost too late she has the same feelings rush to her when she finds out how great of a person he really despite all of his faults and has to humble herself to let him try once more.

Only, in real life there is something crazy about this ego thing. You can't have Pride anywhere when it comes to true love. Who knew? The lesson learned by Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth could very well a subliminal message from an age of Pride of what needs to be done between two prideful people.


My Mr. Darcy is not only like the real one in status and stature but also in looks while like Elizabeth I have the wild hair and style and fore go trying to fit into society's qualms.  Like Mr. Darcy who does not give a second chance to those who have a fallacy and kicks them out of his life with his cold demeanor ... yep. Check, check and check.  How else could I have written this story so quickly?

With all of that said, if you just stick it out with me as I bring Pride to the self-publishing world and hopefully share it with even more later. You can say you were at the beginning of a fun and great ride along with me as we try to get this baby out of my mind completely and into the world. 

Maybe one day, I can get over my shyness and get some conversations going on the blog. They never teach us how to relate when we are learning writing skills, so, it is touch and go here. What is this pain I feel? 

It is my ego dying its final death, ha, ha.


 Have a good weekend and see you next Saturday.

Love ya,
Denise Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment