Saturday, December 8, 2012


I hear you, Marilyn.  I had planned to start with my next layer of adding comedy to the story, but saw that I was becoming addicted to all of the advice online on how to write and tips on comedy that in a sense now I realize ANYone can be taught comedy.  I watch enough movies and television in my past that when I saw the 'rules' of comedy, I kind of felt duped as if plot points and formulas were inducing an emotional reaction.  I studied 20 years of screenwriting and I do not agree with the "Dying is easy, comedy is hard".  Dying is hard, comedy is...a matter of heart and a formula.

I had trouble writing a great anything for 30 years because I was trying to write damn sad stories all this time.  Finally, a comedy comes my way and everything I was taught finally makes sense.  It doesn't hurt to have a living beautiful muse to easily imagine as one of my characters.  Where was he all my life of struggling for the perfect story? Anyhow, in other words, I went to start writing FUNNY into the book and ended up learning for the week and a half.  So, much I learned that it might take the rest of the month to go scene by scene with all of the things I could add. 

What specifically?  Well, for instance, my character's quirks can be funny.  Things that are opposite like my Elizabeth character is so in style and kind of wild with her words while her mother is very conservative, uptight and the angry black mama type.  In other words, I have only a basic story and now is the fun part of adding the sprinkles and icing to the cake.  So, I'll see you next Saturday for an update and possibly an excerpt if I graduated enough from comedy class to show you something that makes me laugh out loud.  Actually, that was one's writer's tip.  Never leave in something unless it is funny to you. "If it ain't funny to you, it ain't funny to anyone else." Good weekend, Everybody.

Peace, Love and Joy,
DeniseRochelle M.

No comments:

Post a Comment